Badge of the Good Samaritans Society of St Petersburg, 1902
In silver with superimposed cup of Hygeia and Sacred Heart
solid gold, and gold plating on the star. Measures 38.4 mm
in height, 29.1 mm in width; weighs 16.8 g. On the reverse
is engraved name of the original owner Э. К. Цоппи ("E.K.
Tsoppi"). No hallmarks or maker marks, as typical for
membership badges of the society. An interesting design
incorporating the Sacred Heart which is traditionally
associated with Catholic rather than Eastern Orthodox
Church. The star emblem at the top is also unusual pointing
out perhaps to cosmopolitan nature of the organization.
The badge is in outstanding, excellent condition. There are
no noticeable dings or edge bumps and only a few tiny
scratches to the cup that are nearly unnoticeable to the
naked eye. The details are exceptionally well-preserved and
crisp. There is very attractive patina to silver parts on
both sides. The pin attachment is fully functional.
The Good Samaritans Society of St. Petersburg was
established in 1898. Among its goals were promoting public
health and hygiene, first aid training, and providing care
for the sick and needy. Membership dues were 5 rubles
annually or single payment of 100 rubles for life
membership, a considerable sum at the time. As of 1904, the
society reportedly numbered 394 members in total. The badge
was introduced in 1902 with the approval of the Russian
Ministry of the Interior. It was issued to those who
finished hygiene and first aid classes run by the society
and received the appropriate certification.
/Patrikeev and Boinovich, "Badges of Russia, Vol. 1",
page 313 fig. 10.26/