Badge of the Good Samaritans Society of St Petersburg, 1902 - 1914.
In silver with superimposed cup of Hygeia and Sacred Heart in solid gold, and gold plating on the star. Measures 38.4 mm in height, 29.1 mm in width; weighs 16.8 g. On the reverse is engraved name of the original owner Э. К. Цоппи ("E.K. Tsoppi"). No hallmarks or maker marks, as typical for membership badges of the society. An interesting design incorporating the Sacred Heart which is traditionally associated with Catholic rather than Eastern Orthodox Church. The star emblem at the top is also unusual pointing out perhaps to cosmopolitan nature of the organization.
The badge is in outstanding, excellent condition. There are no noticeable dings or edge bumps and only a few tiny scratches to the cup that are nearly unnoticeable to the naked eye. The details are exceptionally well-preserved and crisp. There is very attractive patina to silver parts on both sides. The pin attachment is fully functional.
The Good Samaritans Society of St. Petersburg was established in 1898. Among its goals were promoting public health and hygiene, first aid training, and providing care for the sick and needy. Membership dues were 5 rubles annually or single payment of 100 rubles for life membership, a considerable sum at the time. As of 1904, the society reportedly numbered 394 members in total. The badge was introduced in 1902 with the approval of the Russian Ministry of the Interior. It was issued to those who finished hygiene and first aid classes run by the society and received the appropriate certification.
/Patrikeev and Boinovich, "Badges of Russia, Vol. 1", page 313 fig. 10.26/
$1,200.00 Add to cart