Order of St George, 4th cl in gold by a private maker in St Petersburg, 1908-1916.
In gold and enamels; measures 40.9 mm in height (incl. eyelet), 36.5 mm in width. Weighs 7.9 g not including the ribbon and connecting loop; overall weight with the loop and ribbon is 10.6 g. The artwork of St. George and Dragon on the center medallion is beautifully detailed, far more precise and realistic than the more common contemporary Kapitul pieces by Eduard. The enamels are of the highest quality, typical of the period of manufacture. The eyelet has a maker mark that is not clearly legible but appears to show Cyrillic letters "ЕШ" ("YeSh"). There is also a gold hallmark "56" with a partly struck but nevertheless recognizable Kokoshnik and a clearly visible Greek character Alpha designating the St. Petersburg assay inspection.
In very fine to excellent condition, outstanding for a Russian WWI combat award. The enamel appears to be perfect to the unaided eye and retains magnificent luster. The obverse is nearly pristine: there is just a single tiny scuff on the upper edge of the top arm, no other wear visible. On the reverse, a careful inspection with UV light reveals a tiny chip in the upper right corner of the lower arm measuring less than 1 mm in diameter - literally a pinprick - that has been repaired with a dab of what looks like epoxy-based "cold" enamel. This flaw is so miniscule that it is practically unnoticeable without a loupe. Additionally, there is a tiny flake and miniscule amount of discoloration at the base of the left arm (as viewed from the reverse) and some microscopic contact marks. Both sides of the center medallion are beautifully preserved.
The order comes on what appears to be original loop in gold. The ribbon is of the period, folded into a traditional five-sided shape and secured on the back with original period thread. Overall, a tremendously impressive combat award of WWI era.
$11,500.00 Add to cart