All Categories Login Register View Cart Search Terms How to Order Sell To Us About Us Join Our Mailing List

https://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEMWINDOW.HTM?item=37864
Item# 37864   $695.00  Add to cart   Show All Images   Download PDF
Badge of a Graduate of the Elisavetgrad Cavalry School, circa 1913-1917.

Brass, silver-plating, enamel; measures 33.6 mm in height, 43.2 mm in width; weighs 19.8 g not including the wing nut. A very attractive and intricately designed badge of vaulted 3-d profile. Four-piece construction: the St. George coat of arms in the center and the starburst behind the heads of the eagle are separate superimposed parts, and so is the cypher in the bottom. The latter is formed by the Cyrillic letters ННДЕ ("NNDE") which stand for "(Grand Duke) Nikolay Nikolaevich, a Friend of Elisovetgrad (School) Graduates". The cypher at the top of the

Brass, silver-plating, enamel; measures 33.6 mm in height, 43.2 mm in width; weighs 19.8 g not including the wing nut. A very attractive and intricately designed badge of vaulted 3-d profile. Four-piece construction: the St. George coat of arms in the center and the starburst behind the heads of the eagle are separate superimposed parts, and so is the cypher in the bottom. The latter is formed by the Cyrillic letters ННДЕ ("NNDE") which stand for "(Grand Duke) Nikolay Nikolaevich, a Friend of Elisovetgrad (School) Graduates". The cypher at the top of the badge is in honor of Alexander II, the founder of the school.

In outstanding, excellent condition. The enamel and details of the highly exposed center shield are perfect. The other parts of the badge are also essentially pristine, show only microscopic traces of wear. The original silver finish is clearly visible in recessed areas of the eagle and crown and almost completely intact on the starburst part. There is beautiful even toning to the brass throughout. The attachment wires are intact and tight. The screw post is of full or near full length, well over 9.5 mm. The unmarked wing nut is of the period and appears to be original to the badge.

Located in the city of Elisavetgrad (aka Elizavetgrad, currently known as Kirovograd in present-day Ukraine), the school was founded in 1865. It was conceived as part of the massive military training program launched by Alexander II in response to Russia's defeat in the Crimean War. In 1902, the school received its final designation; at that point it consisted of three departments with three-year term of studies and admitted high-school graduates who wished to pursue professional military career. Its graduation badge was established just shortly before the outbreak of WW1 and eventual collapse of the Russian Empire, so such badges are quite rare - especially in excellent condition.

/Patrikeev, Bojnovich, Badges of Russia Vol. 1, Page 58, Fig. 1.1.2/
$695.00  Add to cart