Officer's leather map case, dated 1946.
Measures approx. 8¼" x 11". Although of post-war
manufacture, this is essentially a WW2 model noticeably
different from those produced much later during the Cold
War. A solid, well-made piece. The interior is separated
into two compartments by an integral canvas divider. The
front compartment has several holders for pencils, compass
etc. The map case is expandable to hold numerous maps,
notebooks and manuals; and incl
udes leather belt loops on the back with carbine clip
attachments for a shoulder sling. The fittings are in
The interior front cover has a maker's stamp that reads
"NKLP (Narkomat of Light Industry) of the USSR, Leather
Goods Factory #3, Moscow, 1946". There is also a much larger
ink stamp in the middle, possibly a unit or theatrical
inventory mark, which is unfortunately illegible.
In very good overall condition. Shows only minimal wear and
use; the leather is still solid and "healthy", not overly
dry. The internal compartments are perfectly clean, almost
pristine. The metal hardware shows minor surface oxidation
only, still very sound and fully functional. Missing a
metal reenforcement for the lower fastener slot, although
judging by the condition of the strap, it may have never had
it to begin with (possibly a case of manufacturer's "cutting
corners" due to scarcity of parts and materials). Overall, a
very presentable map case that can be a nice addition to a
Soviet WW2 officer's kit.
Please note, pen in our photo is for size reference.