Badge of a Graduate of the School of Navigation, Naval Cadet
Corps of St Petersburg, 1910-1917.
Brass gilt, enamels; measures 47.5 mm in height, 34.4 mm in
width; weighs 23.1 g. Nicely-made badge of five-piece
construction. The anchors are a separate superimposed part
serving as a base for the sky blue band with inscription
"School of Navigation. Naval Cadet Corps. 1701 - 1901." The
latter supports the red shield with the naval coat of arms,
which is also a separate part. The badge is topped by a
separate double-headed eagle holding in its beaks and claws
white enameled scrolls representing naval maps.
In very fine overall condition. The enamel is overall well-
preserved and appears nearly perfect to the unaided eye. The
red shield is particularly nice, with only tiny surface
flakes along its edge, no rubbing or other wear. The sky
blue band has some tiny surface flakes and chips, also
almost unnoticeable without a loupe. Likewise, the tiny
white scrolls held by the eagle are largely intact with only
some miniscule chips and flakes. The details of eagle,
anchors and wreath are extremely crisp. Some of the
original fire gilt is clearly visible on the reverse of the
The screw post was cut off and replaced by a horizontal pin
attachment as was common at the time. Since this was clearly
done by the original owner of the badge, it is not a
significant detraction in our opinion. The pin and its catch
are firmly attached by solder to the reverse of the wreath.
Overall, a very attractive piece.
/See Patrikeev, Boynovich, "Badges of Russia, Vol. 1"
p. 46, fig. 1.8.5/
Please note, penny in our photo is for size reference.