Badge for Excellent Shooting, 1928 - mid-1930s.
Brass, enamels; measures 52.8 mm in height, 40.9 mm in
width; weighs 16.9 g without screw plate. This version of
the badge is among the largest and most massive,
two-piece construction and more refined and realistic
depiction of the soldier.
In outstanding, excellent condition. The red enamel is
nearly perfect, free of flaking or chips. There are some
hairlines on the upper arm resulting in somewhat cloudy
appearance, but the enamel generally retained its
translucency and luster. The white enamel is perfect. The
details of the rifleman and machine gun are extremely
preserved, and some of the original gilt finish is
visible in their recessed areas. The silver finish on the
star is nearly pristine on both the obverse and reverse.
wires holding the two parts of the badge together are
and tight. The screw post is original and full length,
approx. 12.5 mm. The WW2 era screw plate with logo of a
Polish maker is a replacement.
The badge was established in 1928 as an award for
outstanding marksmanship. It was issued by the Vystrel
("Shot") advanced marksmanship and weapon training
program for Red Army officers. The school was created in
1918, soon after the Revolution, and acquired its famous
name Vystrel in 1923. Starting from 1929, it was also
with preparing professional sniper cadres. Later during
Patriotic War, Vystrel training proved its value:
to German frontline reports, Wehrmacht lost a
larger proportion of NCOs and officers on the Eastern
compared with their losses in France and elsewhere. This
due to actions of well-trained Soviet snipers often using
trees, attics, haystacks and other camouflaged locations
take out Nazi command personnel.
/"Avers 8", p. 423, fig. 2003.a/