Red Cross Commune of St. Elisabeth, donation jetton in gold,
Gold, enamels, three-piece construction (the enameled red
cross emblem and cypher are separate superimposed parts).
Measures 43.3 mm in height, 25.1 mm in width.
Shows enameled Red Cross emblem with gold inscription
"Commune of St. Elisabeth". Superimposed on the top is the
monogram of Grand Duchess Elisaveta Fyodorovna. This piece
is of exquisite quality.
The reverse is engraved "To Monk Pavel Korotkov, 1901". On
the reverse near the bottom are Latin maker mark "NP"
(Nichols & Plinke) and gold Kokoshnik hallmark "84" with
Cyrillic initials ЯЛ ("YaL") of St. Petersburg assay
inspector Yakov Lyapunov (1899-1903). The pin has a poorly
struck NP maker mark and St. Petersburg assay mark of the
early type used until circa 1899 (with crossed anchors and
In very fine condition. The enamel appears perfect to the
unaided eye, although a careful examination reveals tiny
chips and fractures to the white enamel under the cypher
that neither threaten overall integrity of the enamel, nor
affect the general impression created by this beautiful
jetton. There are also a few tiny flakes along the edges of
the white diamond and red cross, also not detractive. The
enamel fully retains magnificent luster and translucency
everywhere. The gold parts are free of noticeable wear; the
details of the letter and crown are perfect and crisp. The
pin attachment is intact and functional.
The St. Elisabeth Commune of Medical Nurses operated as part
of the Russian Red Cross under the auspices of Grand Duchess
Elisaveta. Unlike the relatively common silver jettons
issued by this commune for a single 10-ruble donation, the
gold ones were awarded for no less than 12 separate
donations of at least 10 rubles each. The gold version could
be awarded to a person only once and is extremely rare. /The
gold jetton is described - albeit without a picture - in the
otherwise very comprehensive "Russian Medical Breast Badges"
by E. Gribanov, C. 1989, page 26/. 1