Rural Court Judge (Volostnoy Sudya) of Kamenets-
Podolskiy District, 1989-1912, breast badge.
In solid bronze; medallion measures 46.9 mm in height, 48.4
mm in width, 4.0 mm thick; weighs 46.0 grams not including
the suspension. The obverse shows inscription in stylized
Old Slavonic "Волостной Судья" (Volostnoy Sudya or
Rural District Judge) and the coat of arms of the town of
Kamenets-Podolskiy (in the Ukraine).
The reverse has Monogram of Emperor Alexander III and the
dates 19 February 1861 (the date of the liberation of
peasants and introduction of the new rural court system in
Russia) and 12 July 1889 (the date when the rural courts
were established in this particular region).
The medallion is in very fine condition. There are
occasional scratches and dings, but the details are well
preserved. Reddish oxidation patina and light pitting to
both sides. Comes with intact original suspension chains;
the original bar is present although it broke in half, and
missing a small piece in the middle and the attachment pin.
It will nevertheless display very nicely.
The lowest level, Volostnoy or rural court would usually
decide minor civil cases as well as misdemeanor and petty
criminal cases involving farmers. Unlike the prior history
of the Russian Empire (and also in contrast with the
Communist period), the judge of the court was democratically
elected from local population, not appointed by the